Friday, January 22, 2016

A very interesting article

I was looking through facebook today and found that one of my friends shared an article.  Link attached here:
http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-news/20160121/el-camino-college-professor-fears-for-life-after-students-threat-to-kill-her?source=most_viewed.

When reading this article, I had a lot of mixed feelings about it.  On one hand, I sympathize with   this individual and his frustrations of being stuck at El Camino College (a community college).  Going through college, I too have been frustrated with the lack of services and supports and the demands of college academic work.  On the other hand, I don't want people to come to the conclusion that autism is linked to violent behavior.  What was particularly disturbing about this piece was that he attributed his autism to him making violent statements. I am concerned  that when people read this article, they might think just that.  In the past, people have made faulty conclusions when reading articles involving a shooter that the autism caused these guys to shoot.    I just want to let people know that most people on the autism spectrum are not violent.  This guy clearly has some other mental illness along with autism.  For me, I am afraid of guns, violence, shooting and blood etc.  I am afraid of weapons especially knives and don't have the coordination to use a gun or knife.  Most of the people on the autism spectrum I personally know are not violent individuals.  Thus, it is important to look at each individual on the autism spectrum as a unique individual and that this is an isolated incident.  Another thing that needs to be taken away from this article is that there needs to be more support services for adults on the autism spectrum especially for those who are in college or on the milder end of the spectrum.  I cannot tell you enough how many times I have felt frustrated, depressed, lonely and anxious throughout my five and a half years in adulthood because of lack of support services that meet my needs.  How I got through is that I got creative (will talk more about these methods in future posts).   If this guy got the help he needed that would help him realize his potential, this incident might not have happened in the first place.  


No comments:

Post a Comment