Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My first blog post and introduction

Hi All!

This is my first blog post documenting my life and challenges with autism.  I always wanted to write a blog and actually started a couple times but wasn't sure how if I can keep up with followers and how I can have people comment on my blog posts.  Now that I have some time since I am out of school,  I want to restart a blog to document on my experiences and my opinions as a young woman with autism in her early 20's.
 To talk a little bit about myself, I am a 23 year old (almost 24) young adult who was diagnosed with autism at the age of four.  I graduated high school in 2010, and attended community college for three years before transferring to a four year university in 2013.  I recently graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology in December 2015 and now am embarking on the road to future employment and figuring out how to structure my free time.  Going through college and adulthood has not been easy as I had to deal with the loss and lack of adequate support services.  There were times that I have faced periods of isolation, anxiety and depression during the last five and a half years of college.  However I was able to persevere and manage to get through all these hardships to obtain my degree.

 This blog will cover a variety of topics pertaining to my current life such as college, adulthood, friendships, getting a job, and employment. I also will discuss my life in the past such as my high school years and middle school years.   The purpose of writing this blog and being a self-advocate is to redefine what's normal in society's terms and to challenge the prevailing norms.

No comments:

Post a Comment